Friday, May 21, 2010

Summer Session #1: Whetstone Park Ravine




My first summer break painting experience posed a few obstacles. First, people on the bus gave me peculiar glances as I stepped on and off with my five gallon pickle bucket, my easel, and two bags. Next, I feared baseballs from a nearby game would strike me in the head as I painted in the woods. (The painting below looks deceivingly to be in a wild and wooded area; when in reality, a baseball field was fifteen feet behind me.) The largest obstacle though, which was neither induced by my personal fear or self-consciousness, was the fact that the sunlight changes so dang quickly right before sunset. Since my only free time to paint during the week is after my 8am to 5pm job, I find that I have a good two hours or less to lay paint down after I take the bus and walk the rest of the way to my destination. The painting below was squeezed out in less than an hour and a half. Although it seems like I'm being a Debbie Downer, I really truly did enjoy the experience. It gave me the opportunity to connect with nature and God and paint.



1 comment: