Sunday, May 23, 2010

Summer Session #2: Walhalla!



My gracious friend, Corey, showed me the beauty of Walhalla Road last week. Ever since, I've been anxious to go there and paint. The trickling of the nearby stream was a great background noise, especially since I forgot my ipod this time. I wanted this session's piece to focus on the atmosphere and the light and dark patterning of the space. The drawing consists of powdered graphite on a toned gesso panel. My friend Rachel told me that my nose, lips and arms, covered in a thin layer of graphite, gave me the appearance of a coal miner. I felt like a true West Virginian by this observation. Unfortunately, the the drawing didn't photograph well, because the medium was ridiculously shiny and reflective of the glaring sun.


No comments:

Post a Comment